Thursday, May 08, 2003

We got a GOLD for syf!!! hohoho... and we got into finals!! yay~ Actually, i don't really feel anything now. Before they announced i didn't feel anything no adrenaline rush just a slight hope that we'd get a gold. When they announced, everyone was screaming and cheering away(me included) and i did feel relieved and elated cause our many practices paid off.
More importantly, i feel relieved for the excos who put in much effort, especially the pres. He was the one that led everyone towards this inaugral achievement in ajco history. The many times he came early just to open the co rm door for us to place our instruments in the morn and also for self-practice after sch. His effort in going around borrowing instruments from other organisations, his pushing for extra practices-last yr dec hols, june hols, may day and for the rehersal at S'pore Conference hall(SCH) etc etc. I really think he did a great job as the pres for that i hold him in high esteem. I believe he played a rather big part in today's success.
All the way back frm SCH to the sch everyone was in high spirits and cheering in the bus and i felt abit out of it all. It felt as if i was watching a movie. I'm the audience. Looking at the people in the show celebrate. I noticed that in the midst of the celebrations, comments about how other schools suck or ccas which didn't do as well came into the picture. I took that as a pinch of arrogance just because we won. Coincidently, just the other night, a friend was telling me abt someone who was cocky just because his playing skills were superior to the others. It struck me that the scene i was witnessing would be entirely different if the results turned out otherwise. I shudder at the thought of curses and swears being hurled at the judges, sobbing, violence carried out on the instruments due to anger and even blaming another. I'm definately sure of the presence of sore losers and cocky winners and its sickens me. When one is bent on winning and accepting no other alternative, it drives one into selfish thinking and forgetting that playing in an orchestra is not just about winning. One might argue that if we're not set on winning then why should we participate in the competition. It gets worse when they want to win so that they can get recognition from the school. That's what I don't like abt competitions. Playing in an orchestra should be about working together to create beautiful music. Must a tag be put onto who deserves to be called first? Isn't music a product of creativity? Who's to say A's creativity is better than B's? Aiya life's like tt. Mmm.. i digressed. The bottomline is i didn't feel that happy over the whole thing, even if i did it was only for that brief moment when the results were announced. So perhaps i looked sullen and i didn't really feel the jubilation. =\
Now we have to prepare for the finals, so it's back to practices. I somehow felt that we won because of our hard work and practices since the majority have no prior background before they joined, when pitted against the other finalists who have players with years of experience we'd be at the losing end. Adding to that we have only 2 mths to learn the new song. Sure 2 mths might be enough to learn it but to perfect it that's another story. Ah well.. jia you all. Some good things are: a)experience b)new song! (same song for 2 yrs darn sian) c) we get to wear the costume again d) as my jr said it so happily: "yay~ one more day to miss lesson!!"

"U gave me strength to stand alone again to face the crowd, out on my own again. U put me high, high up on the pedastal so high i could almost see eternaty. u believed in me. u believed in me."
"U r my special angel through eternity. I'll haf my special angel here to watch over me. Here to watch over me."..Gold 90FM

by tab at 10:35 PM |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home